AGLC Header
Home | News | Contact Us | Site Map Online Services - Login
Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission Logo AGLC - About Us
AGLC - Gaming
AGLC - Liquor
AGLC - Being Responsible
Liquor Service Providers Search
AGLC navigation spacer
Handbooks and Guidelines
AGLC navigation spacer
Warehouse and Distribution
AGLC navigation spacer
Responsible Liquor Service
AGLC navigation spacer
Alberta Liquor Privatization
AGLC navigation spacer
Liquor History & Facts
AGLC navigation spacer
Industry Reviews and Studies
AGLC navigation spacer
Liquor Mark-Up
AGLC navigation spacer
Frequently Asked Questions
AGLC content

Special Events Licences

A special event liquor licence (SEL) is a legal document that allows the licence holder to host a function with liquor service. Special event licence holders can be individuals, not-for-profit organizations or companies.

Special event functions are restricted to members and invited guests only, and can not include the general public.

Types of Special Event licences for private functions

A Private (non-sale) licence allows the licence holder to provide liquor to invited guests free of charge. Private non-sale licences can be obtained only by:

  • Not–for-profit or charitable organizations
  • Adults organizing family functions such as wedding receptions and family reunions, and
  • Business/companies.

A Private (resale) licence allows the licence holder to sell liquor to invited guests. Private resale licences can be obtained only by:

  • Not-for-profit or charitable organizations
  • Adults organizing family functions such as wedding receptions and family reunions
  • Business/companies’ staff social committee

Special Event Licence Restrictions

A special event licence will not be issued:

  • To anyone under the age of 18 or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • For an establishment where a Class A, B, C or D liquor licence is in effect or under suspension
  • For an area open to the general public

Bring Your Own Wine and homemade liquor products

BYOW (bring your own wine) is only allowed at private residences, not community halls, banquet facilities etc.

Homemade wine, beer or cider cannot be served or consumed and is not allowed on the licensed premises.

Licences for private functions of up to 400 people can be authorized by retail liquor stores, general merchandise liquor stores and general off sales rooms. The AGLC must approve Special Event Licences for larger functions. At no time may the fire capacity of the premises be exceeded.

Food service is recommended at all functions. Non-alcoholic beverages must be available.

Liquor service for special event liquor licences can be provided from 10 a.m. until 2 a.m. the following morning. Licence holders may split these hours into two liquor service periods.

A one hour consumption period is permitted once liquor service ends. If liquor service goes from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., all drinks must be consumed and all liquor removed from the premises by 3 a.m.

A request for liquor service before 10 a.m. can be made to the AGLC Regulatory Division.

Suitable locations for Special Event liquor licensed functions include:

  • Community halls
  • Banquet rooms or Meeting rooms
  • Areas in licensed premises that have been reserved exclusively for the use of the licence holder.

Public access must be restricted.


  • Any advertising for a private function must specify that the function is for "members and invited guests only". Such advertising may not invite the general public or suggest the general public is welcome.
  • Community leagues can advertise a function on signs, including freestanding illuminated signs, on community league property.
  • Posters can be displayed on community notice boards.
  • Advertisements may be placed in local newspapers or on radio and television, and should include:
    1. Name of organization and function
    2. Date of function
    3. Location
    4. How to obtain tickets
    5. Contact names and telephone numbers
  • Tickets to private functions cannot be sold to the general public and cannot be sold from business outlets or from public venues.

Example of advertising:


Fraternal Order of Albertans

Friday, October 31       MyClub Community Hall
Music by Super Trio. Dance 9 pm to midnight. Refreshments.
For tickets call club secretary Jane Doe at 780-447-8600.
Members and Invited Guests Only

Responsibilities of Special Event liquor licence holder

  • Post liquor licence in a prominent location at the event.
  • Admit AGLC inspectors and police into premises covered by the special event liquor licence.
  • Take responsibility for the conduct of all guests.
  • Ensure guests are not over served.
  • Provide responsible supervision at the event. One supervisor for every 50 people plus one supervisor for each entrance and exit is recommended.
  • Ensure minors are not served liquor or permitted to consume or handle liquor. Minors can be permitted to attend the event or employed as kitchen or food service staff.
  • Serve spirits by the individual drink. A person may not be given or sold a bottle of spirits.
  • Set drink prices, provided they are posted and apply to individual drinks only. Multiple drink specials are not permitted (e.g. two drink for the price of one, three for one etc.).
  • Homemade wine, beer or cider cannot be served or consumed and is not allowed on the licensed premises.

Where can you get a Special Event liquor licence?

Special event liquor licences can be obtained from retail liquor stores, general merchandise liquor stores, or general off-sales rooms. Check for the closest liquor store.

Special Event Licence fees

  • Private non-sale licence: $10.00
  • Private resale licence:    $25.00

NOTE: Retail liquor stores, general merchandise liquor stores and general off sales rooms may charge a service fee of up to $2.00.


Back Print Friendly Version
Copyright and Disclaimer                        Privacy Statement
Alberta Lottery Fund - Benefiting your community right now. AGLC Smart Training Programs Gaming Information for Charitable Groups